Self-Study. For music therapists, OT’s, PT’s, SLP’s, preschool teachers, music specialists, and other therapists/providers working with the preschool population. 6 Credits
Self-Study – You can watch the recordings on your own time and at your own pace.
Presented by Jeffrey Friedberg MA, MT-BC
This in-depth interactive workshop will present a comprehensive overview to the hows, whats and whys of providing music in the preschool setting. Discussion will cover the following:
- building a developmentally appropriate repertoire to engage the children
- building a positive working relationship with your students
- meeting educational and therapy goals
- structuring sessions to best meet goals
- managing challenging behavior
- integrating the class into a preschool institutional session
- avoiding burnout
You will be given a homework assignment of designing 4 x 30 minute sessions to meet specific goals. After completing the Course Evaluation Form you will be emailed a certificate of completion.
- Will state 10 songs/activities to use in the pre-school classroom
- Will recall 4 elements to include when designing structure of classes toengage and build skills
- Will compare 4 techniques to manage behavior and simultaneously buildtherapeutic relationship
- Will summarize 4 strategies on how to successfully integrate music therapy into the educational setting
30 minutes – Introduction and Overview
30 minutes- Therapeutic Preschool Environment:
Discussion of the realities of being a music therapist in a therapeutic preschool environment. Review of scheduling, staff support, access to information. equipment and treatment planning.
30 minutes- Needs, Challenges and Strengths:
What are the needs and challenges as well as strengths of children in therapeutic preschool environment? What are goals and objectives attainable in this environement?
30 minutes Class Structure: How to structure class to maximize engagement and learning of skills.
1 hour- Repertoire building: Discussion of traditional, adapted and original songs and how they can be used to meet therapy goals.
1 hour- Behavior Management and The Therapeutic Relationship: Building a therapeutic relationship is essential in helping children learn and grow. Discussion on how to re-direct challenging behavior in ways that both help build relationship and achieve therapy goals.
30 minutes Q & A
1 hour self study assignment
CBMT Domain areas:
Music Therapy in the Preschool Classroom is approved by the Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT) for 6 CMTEs-Continuing Music Therapy Education credits. The Spiegel Academy, CBMT Approved Provider #P-106, maintains responsibility for program quality and adherence to CBMT policies and criteria.