Join Tom Sweitzer , (MMT, MT-BC) Music Therapist as he shares his own journey with Covid and how he has used Music Therapy for rehabilitation for himself and for hundreds of others in the United States of America throughout the last year.
Tom will share with music therapists what exactly has worked for so many in the Long Hauler Music Therapy sessions he’s been providing on-line to countless Americans every Wednesday night.
In this CMTE you will will learn what you can do to support long haulers through music therapy. Get new strategies for your own use as you explore with Tom the protocol he uses, including Original Music writing, Lyric analysis, and Music Listening and reflection to help the survivors deal with their current state of health. Tom also has used music to help him in building lung capacity and overall breathing.
From this CMTE participants will be able to:
- Discuss the challenges faced by clients with long-term Covid-19 symptoms (Covid “long haulers”) and how music can play a part in their recovery.
- Apply breathing techniques for Covid Long Haulers who are still recovering from damage to the respiratory system
- Design music listening/analysis activities to facilitate emotional processing for Long Haulers
- Name 1 songwriting technique to support client’s mental well-being
- Name one way to set the tone and theme of session through selecting appropriate music
- Name one way to discuss the use of music in supporting a client during verbal processing,
Domain: 1IB. Assessment: 3.Identify client’s functioning level and strengths within the following area of need: d. physical/motor e.psychological; 4.Identify client’s active symptoms/stressors related to present status.
Domain: IIIA. Implementation: 2. Provide music therapy experiences to address client’s: d)activities of daily living ggg)wellness, g)affect, emotions and mood p)coping skills, qq. respiratory function , 5. hh. validate client’s musical experience. 5. aa. provide receptive music experience
7:00 – 7:15 – Intro, The Covid story, How it affects the lungs and emotions
7:15 – 7:30 – Breathing, improvisational work, and movement
7:30 – 8:00 – Music preferences and working thru the survivor’s “story”
8:00 – 8:30 – Original song-writing on zoom
8:30 – 9:00 – The future of survivors, and how to use Music Therapy
9:00-9:30 – Conversation, reflection, and sum-up
Music Therapy for Covid Long Haulers is approved by the Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT) for 3 CMTEs-Continuing Music Therapy Education credits. The Spiegel Academy, CBMT Approved Provider #P-106, maintains responsibility for program quality and adherence to CBMT policies and criteria.