Intro to Banjo for Music Therapists and Teachers (5 credits)
Self study. Incorporate banjo into your music therapy practice or classroom! Learn basic skills on banjo. Add the banjo to your toolkit to help achieve therapeutic & educational goals. 5 credits.
$46.00 – $125.00
Learn basic skills on banjo in order to
use the banjo to achieve therapeutic & educational goals.
- Learn foundational music skills on the banjo.
- Learn the parts of the banjo.
- Learn how to tune a banjo
- Learn how to play I, IV and V chords in 4 keys, 3 styles of accompaniment, 5 songs, 3 bluegrass tricks and an overview on using bluegrass banjo during improvisation.
Demonstrate understanding of basic skills on banjo in order to use the banjo to achieve therapeutic & educational goals
- be able to play I IV & V chords in keys of C, D, A and G major
- demonstrate 3 ways to accompany songs (choke, strum and 3 finger roll)
- play 5 songs on banjo
- demonstrate 3 ways to accompany vocals with banjo
A. Parts of the instrument
B. Tuning – how to tune
C. Chords: I, IV and V chords in G and C major
D. Capo: I, IV and V chords in A and D major
II. Accompaniment, Songs and Fun Tricks
B. 5 Songs
C. Slides, pull-offs and hammer-ons
D. Single String
III. 2:30-3:30 Music Therapy and the Banjo
C. Improvisation using bluegrass and folk chord patterns
assignment 1 hour self study
CBMT Domain Areas:
II. Treatment Implementation and Termination:
d) apply a variety of scales, modes, and harmonic progressions.
f) compose vocal and instrumental music.
- Referral, Assessment, and Treatment Planning: 40 items
D. Treatment Planning
11. Use appropriate musical instruments and equipment consistent with treatment needs.
Intro to Banjo for Music Therapists is approved by the Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT) for 5 CMTEs-Continuing Music Therapy Education credits. The Spiegel Academy, CBMT Approved Provider #P-106, maintains responsibility for program quality and adherence to CBMT policies and criteria.