Integrate your discipline with DBT skills. Learn the language, fit into a DBT team, use DBT to support your clients. Counts towards the DBT informed MT certificate. 29 credits.
This class can be taken independently or as part of the DBT Informed Music Therapist Program package (best deal).
What is DBT?
Reinforcing the skills for mindfulness, distress tolerance, emotion regulation, and interpersonal effectiveness through music therapy can support your patients/clients who are involved in a DBT program as well as those who are not. DBT skills are useful in our own lives as well! Being a music therapist on a DBT treatment team, you can add a new dimension to the way the clients learn, practice, and remember the skills. Even if you are not part of a DBT treatment team, Integrating DBT skills into your own practice can provide effective tools for mindful living, coping with stress, interpersonal interactions, and emotion regulation strategies for your clients.
Why attend this course?
This course is an important step in gaining a complete and thorough study of the DBT skills with music therapy applications, and having professional supervision as you implement them with your clients, learning how to apply the material and make it functional for music therapy.
Learn how as a music therapist you can apply DBT skills in a way that has fidelity to the treatment, still doing DBT but with a music therapy spin.
Become comfortable using the DBT terminology and collaborating with other clinicians. Be able to to communicate with related fields more effectively and plan groups in coordination with them within the structure of DBT.
Gain the educational essentials to maintain high standards of excellence in your professional practice and feel confident in your role as a DBT informed Music Therapist
Know what the skills are and how to create effective MT interventions within the DBT framework
Effectively create and implement MT interventions to support and reinforce the DBT skills the patients are learning
Be able to present other professionals and those in charge with a credential from the Spiegel Academy with the designation of DBT informed Music Therapist that demonstrates a working knowledge of DBT (once you complete all requirements- this class is one of them)
The Components of This Class
- Read and study the 2015 Skills Training Manual. You can purchase the manual by clicking on the link. Apply interventions from your discipline to the material showing how you could or do use your discipline to teach/reinforce the skills.
- RECORDED and live INTERACTIVE MEETINGS – Our first meeting is an orientation to the class for an hour where Lauren also teaches some foundational elements about DBT outside of the skills. In the following recordings we share interventions and ask/answer questions about how we integrated the material into our work, or questions about anything studied in the module. Lauren fills in information about the new skills in this manual (that are not in the old manual) There are 5 recorded meetings and 5 live webinar meetings. Our live webinar Q&A meetings will answer your questions from the book, the videos, and from the btech class and make it applicable to music therapy. We meet on the 3rd Tuesday of each month for 5 months (starting in April 2018) at 5:00-6:00 Pacific, 6:00-7:00 Mountain, 7:00-8:00 Central, 8:00-9:00 Eastern. You are required to attend at least 4 times.
- Complete assignments. These make the DBT skills useful to your own life as well as your clients’.
- Share interventions and interact with your peers in live webinar meetings and in private forum.
- If you are taking this for the DBT Informed Music Therapist Endorsement then register for the DBT Skills Training on the behavioral tech website to coordinate with this class. You get a 50% off the behavioral tech course with a student discount as part of the Spiegel Academy to take this course.
Here’s what people are saying about the DBT Informed Music Therapist Program who have completed this class:
|Moderated by experienced DBT Skills group leader||and DBT intensively trained Therapist|
Deborah Spiegel MT-BC is recognized as a leading expert in the field of DBT Informed Music Therapy. She has spoken, presented workshops, and delivered trainings in music therapy and DBT skills nationwide since 2009. Since the time that she was first introduced to DBT in 2001, the amount of research on DBT and its effectiveness with various populations has exploded as has the popularity of its use. The need for trained music therapists in this field is growing..
Lauren Bonavitacola Psy.D. MT-BC is a clinical psychologist and music therapist who has expertise and specialized training in the delivery of evidence-based treatments for anxiety, mood, substance use, eating, and personality disorders across the lifespan. Dr. Bonavitacola is highly experienced and is intensively trained in all aspects of DBT and will provide you with supervision and training.
- Create music therapy interventions which Integrate (DBT) theoretical orientations into music therapy practice
- Share ideas about how to integrate music therapy with DBT skills in your professional setting
- Demonstrate the language used to integrate and coordinate with other treatment modalities as integral parts of a DBT treatment team teaching and reinforcing DBT skills
You will receive 29 credits
CBMT Domain Areas
IIA2c,d,e,g,h,i,j,k,n,o,q,s,v,x,ak, IIA3a,b, IIA5
In-Depth Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Study with Music Therapy Applications is approved by the Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT) for 29 CMTEs-Continuing Music Therapy Education credits. The Spiegel Academy, CBMT Approved Provider #P-106, maintains responsibility for program quality and adherence to CBMT policies and criteria.